Friday, July 16, 2010

Run #34: Strike While the Irons Are Sleeping

Another 1.5 miles down the road for me, and I finished in 20min, 15sec, or on a 13.5min/mile pace again.  A few seconds faster than yesterday, but negligible in the long run.  Still, it's a big chunk shaved off of my previous pace for no apparent reason, and I'd like it to become the new standard.  I can't be runnin' no 10ks if it takes me longer than nap time!  I've got to strike while the iron is hot around here... rather, while the irons are sleeping, and I can't be dawdling around on a 15-minute mile pace if I'm going to be putting in some serious distance.


I said "no apparent reason" before, and that's not exactly true.  There is, I think, a non-magical reason my pace has increased, and it's so absurd that I just have to tell you about it.  I'm new to running, as you know, and I am just winging it, really.  I have begun to study up on the fundamentals (because, in true nerd fashion, I don't feel bona fide until there is homework), and have been thinking about whether to tackle increasing my pace or my distance first. I'd decided on pace but am seeing recommendations for distance until I have more experience as a runner for more difficult pace work.  Drat.


So. Distance it is; hence the 10k plan.  But in the meantime, I've found something that helps with pace too, and here it is, all you fellow newbies... hold on to your seats... ready?  


I started taking longer steps.


Yep.  That's it.  15 minutes to 13.5 minutes, just like that.  You can laugh, but it is actually harder than it sounds, and requires some concentration to keep it going.  This is where that chronic self-consciousness thing actually helps.  Because OF COURSE I'm already concentrating on every single detail and angle and portrait pose of my body's placement on the sidewalk. Pshh.  


It's pretty cool when we get the opportunity to turn a major weakness into a strength.


I've got some good thoughts brewing and am planning a few posts on what's really motivating me here, and I'll get to those as soon as I can.  In the meantime, a few more music links from today's run:


First of all, forget a slow warm up, especially if you are of a certain age and disposition, since you will appreciate this so much more (Jill, I don't know if your tastes ran to Boingo, but I always consider you my Target Demographic for this stuff).  Oh I know something about the ways of loving!

Second, a real treat for me-- a song I didn't get to listen to when I put it on my phone and haven't heard for years, but was THE song of my life when I was 16 or 17. In that movie of my life that was always playing in my head, this was the song that was playing in the background whenever I walked into the scene.  This song is why I was a goth, back in those days.


Speaking of back in those days, my 16-year old niece and I were discussing awesome footwear recently (you know, like ya do), and I advised her to get these, and then realized that a) I seriously covet these shoes, and b) if I were to wear them, I would look far less retro than "hasn't been shopping since 1988."  Because I AM TOO OLD FOR DOCS.


Oh my god.  And this leads me to the subject of an upcoming post: stress and running.  Wait for it!



2 comments:

  1. Longer steps...nice. Who knew? I want to see some photos of you in your goth days. I bet you were the cutest goth there ever was...er I mean...the badest, most morose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember, lo those many years ago when I was going to the gym and using the elliptical religiously, I sort of figured out the same thing, but for me it was that I had to move my legs faster! Sort of the equivalent of lengthening your stride--it made a huge difference for me!
    You are going to have this figured out in no time!

    ReplyDelete